Cheltenham Times

Cheltenham Times

Independent news, events and useful local information for Cheltenham.

Controversial firefighter change in Cheltenham 'could put lives at risk'

August 7, 2026
Controversial firefighter change in Cheltenham 'could put lives at risk'

Summary

More than 740 people are opposing cuts to overnight fire and rescue service cover in Cheltenham . There are proposals to reduce the 24-hour cover at Cheltenham West fire station to a whole-time day crew. This is part of a wider plan to strengthen fire cover in the Forest of Dean by providing whole-time day cover at Cinderford Fire Station.

Details

Gloucestershire County Council‘s cabinet agreed on July 22 to consult on the proposals over eight weeks. The plans are based on independent analysis and data modelling which concluded that providing a day crew at Cinderford would deliver significant operational and community safety benefits. These would include faster response times, increased fire prevention work and a stronger presence in the community.

The council says data modelling has shown that due to a combination of overlapping response coverage. The proximity of neighbouring stations and lower overnight demand, resources would be better placed at Cinderford during the day, rather than Cheltenham West during the night. Cheltenham West would retain a whole-time day crew under the plans and Cheltenham East would remain under 24 hour cover.

However, 741 people have signed a petition against the closure of night time cover at Cheltenham West Fire Station as “cuts to the fire service kill”. “The safety of our community in Cheltenham is at risk,” the petition by Kate Yhnell, Gloucestershire organiser of the Fire Brigades Union, reads.

Related stories

£30k funding available to support community projects31 July 2026
Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue Service cover in Cheltenham could be cut15 July 2026
Unexpected experiences await at Gloucester Cathedral6 August 2026

“With tens of thousands of new houses being built right next to Cheltenham and the new M5 junction opening, the decision to cut night-time cover at Cheltenham West Fire Station is not just inconvenient; it’s dangerous and potentially deadly. “The current proposal would leave Cheltenham with fewer fire appliances available at night, stretching an already overburdened service thinner and putting lives at risk.

Fire services are essential, and every second counts in an emergency. “Removing night-time cover could mean longer response times during critical situations, which could seriously endanger the lives of the residents of Cheltenham and Gloucestershire at large. “As our community continues to grow with new residential developments, the need for dependable emergency services is more critical than ever.

“The fire station at Cheltenham West plays a pivotal role in ensuring our safety. Its staff works tirelessly to protect us, and reducing night-time cover could compromise this crucial safety net.” The petition goes on to say every community deserves access to reliable and deficient fire cover no matter the time of day. They ask council chiefs to reconsider the move and invest in safety rather than reduce it.

Mark Preece, chief fire officer at Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue Service , said previously that the proposals are about making sure resources are aligned to where risk, demand and community need are greatest.


Report source: Gloucestershire Live

Join the Cheltenham Times newsletter

Local news, events and community updates from Cheltenham Times — straight to your inbox.